Why are English spellings confusing?
English is a language which has borrowed from a lot of different languages. To give you a few examples – Zucchini and Cafe are Italian words and Gymnasium is a Greek word. Therefore, it often becomes difficult to spell words correctly. The good news is that you can improve your spellings. Let’s learn how.
Steps to improve your spellings:
– Use rhymes and songs to remember spellings. You can also change tricky spellings into words, and then remember them like an acronym. If a part of the word is difficult, you can put them in a sentence to remember. For example, to remember “island”, you can say – “An island is land surrounded by water”.
2. Spelling rules
– Learn some basic spelling rules to help you out with the difficult words.
3. Commonly misspelt words
– One Google search can lead you to a huge list of commonly misspelt words. It’s a good idea to go through them so that you don’t repeat the errors.
4. Write it down
– Maintaining a notebook of the words that you find difficult also helps. Don’t forget to keep going back to it from time to time!
5. Word origins
– Check word origins in the dictionary – they’re a great way to remember spellings!
6. Chunk it
– Break the spelling into parts to help you remember it. For example – “bad-min-ton”
– Draw a picture using the words
8. Word games
– There are several word games easily available online or even on your smart phones. Use them to improve your spellings!
If you follow these, no one can stop you from becoming a Spelling Champion!
Connect with us on our other social platforms for more fun content: